The excessive sugar and fats contents in granola do not make it the best choice for breakfast should you’re attempting to drop extra pounds — it is mainly like crumbled cookies you eat with a spoon! However should you’re a granola fan like me, do that supersimple sugar-free recipe. I am floored on the robustly candy taste and addictively crunchy texture — and it is made with out sugar or oil! This granola is sweetened naturally with only a handful of dates and a few raisins!
At 205 energy per serving (which is about half a cup), it has 2.7 grams of fats, 42.4 grams of carbs, nearly 5 grams of fiber, 12 grams of sugar (however bear in mind it is from the fruit!), and 5.6 grams of protein. For comparability, an analogous store-bought brand of fruit and nut granola has 270 calories, 12 grams of fats, 39 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fiber, 13 grams of sugar, and 6 grams of protein. See all of the energy and fats you will save by making it your self? Plus home made all the time tastes higher!
You will have a high-speed blender or meals processor to puree the dates for this recipe, but when you do not have one, you may substitute date syrup (I am a fan of Joolies because it’s simply dates!). This recipe additionally requires a small quantity of nuts, however in order for you it to be low-fat, simply omit them.
It is a primary recipe that has a deep cinnamon-spice taste, however you’ll be able to change it up to fit your style buds. Use almond extract as an alternative of vanilla, or swap out the raisins for dried cherries, dried cranberries, chopped apricots, or golden raisins. And should you do like nuts, as an alternative of uncooked pecans, you may use uncooked walnuts, cashews, almonds, macadamias, peanuts, or seeds like pumpkin, hemp, flax, or chia. Have enjoyable getting artistic with totally different taste combos!
This recipe is so easy; it simply takes time to soak the dates and bake the granola. However that is one thing straightforward you may make whereas working from residence or earlier than mattress — then you definately’ll have home made granola to get up to! It tastes scrumptious over unsweetened soy milk, oatmeal, or almond milk yogurt, and it is nice to snack on by the handful.
- 1/2 cup water
4 ounces pitted dates, lower into giant chunks (I used 7 Medjool dates)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon floor nutmeg
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins (I used 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup nuts (non-compulsory, I used 1/8 cup chopped pecans)
- Add the water, dates, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg to your blender or meals processor. Enable the dates to soak for quarter-hour. In the meantime, add parchment paper or silicone baking mats to 2 cookie sheet pans.
- Preheat your oven to 250°F.
- Add the rolled oats, raisins, and nuts (if utilizing) to a medium-size bowl.
- Mix the date combination till easy, about one minute.
- Pour date combination into the oat combination and blend till the oats are utterly coated.
- Divide the granola combination evenly among the many two pans, spreading the combination out so there are not any huge clumps.
- Place one pan on the center rack and one pan on a rack beneath. Bake for half-hour.
- Take away from the oven to stir the granola round with a spatula. Return the pans again to the oven, however change them so that they bake evenly. Bake for an additional 25 to half-hour, or till the granola is crunchy.
- Take away from the oven and permit to prepare dinner utterly. Retailer granola in an hermetic container like a mason jar (I used a 16-ounce jar).
Here is the dietary data from Verywell.com for one serving (makes about 4 half-cup servings):
- 4 servings (3 1/2 cups)
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time
- 60 minutes
- Complete Time
- 1 hour, 19 minutes, 59 seconds
- Energy per serving