I am a West Coaster via and thru, however when Thanksgiving rolls round, I am excited to attempt a few of my dad’s Southern household traditions. Candy potato pie is one Southern dish that seems on my mother and father’ desk each few years. It is similar to pumpkin pie, however with a sweeter, barely earthier style that makes it a chief various in the event you’ve obtained pumpkin pie fatigue. And since candy potatoes are chock-full of vitamins — particularly vitamin A, which promotes immunity and eye well being, and fiber — reaching for a slice of candy potato pie on Thanksgiving is rarely a nasty concept.
Common candy potato pie can embody excessive quantities of butter and eggs, so I made some frequent vegan substitutes (coconut oil for butter and cornstarch for the eggs) to loosen up the pie with out compromising style. Probably the greatest components concerning the pie, to me, is the dollop of whipped cream that accompanies it, so I could have gone a bit overboard with the coconut whipped cream frosting — be happy to cut back the quantity of coconut cream and serve alongside as a substitute!
Prepare dinner, cool, and peel the candy potato earlier than continuing; I boiled mine till tender (about 25 minutes) however you may additionally roast them. Bake and funky the crust earlier than you make the pie filling, and make the coconut cream after your pie has had time to chill; you will must refrigerate a can of full-fat coconut milk in a single day. It helps to additionally chill the bowl you will be whipping the cream in for a couple of minutes earlier than you are able to whip.
- For the crust
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup entire wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
- For the filling
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup packed darkish brown sugar
2 candy potatoes, cooked
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- For the coconut whipped cream
1 can chilled full-fat coconut milk (fats solids solely)
2 teaspoons confectioners sugar or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add pecans and rolled oats to a blender and grind to a powder. Be sure you do not overblend — you might find yourself making a paste. Place flour in a medium-sized bowl and add pecan and oat combination. Combine effectively.
- Add the coconut oil and blend with a fork till it’s totally integrated into the flour combination.
- Stir within the maple syrup; combine simply sufficient to mix effectively and kind a dough that may maintain collectively when pressed.
- Switch combination to a 9-inch pie pan and unfold into an excellent thickness on the perimeters and backside of the pan.
- Poke holes in backside and sides of the crust. Bake at 375 levels for 20 to 25 minutes or till golden brown. Let the crust cool earlier than filling.
- Whereas crust is baking, make the pie filling: in a big bowl, whisk collectively brown sugar and cornstarch till mixed. Add candy potato, almond milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt and whisk till blended. Pour combination into prebaked pie crust.
- Bake 1 hour or till edges are set and heart barely jiggles. Let cool on a wire rack a minimum of 1 hour earlier than serving.
- As soon as pie has cooled, open the can of chilled coconut milk, flip the other way up, and open. Pour out the liquid on the prime; you will use the cream half, not the liquid.
- Gently pour the coconut fats into your chilled mixing bowl and whisk with a hand blender or standing mixer till whipped. Add confectioners sugar and vanilla or maple syrup and whip once more till absolutely integrated. Unfold evenly onto pie and refrigerate.
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American
Picture Supply: CelebrityPie Images / Leta Shy